- In GeoMedia, select Tools > Display CAD Files.
The Display CAD Files dialog box is displayed.
- In the CAD type drop down list, select AutoCAD.
- In the CAD files folder field, type in or click Browse to define the folder containing your DXF files, e.g. D:\Warehouses\dxf\.
Available DXF files are displayed in the Available files list box.
- In the Available files field, checked on one or more DXF files.
- If you want to associate a coordinate system file for your DXF file(s), then in the Coordinate system file field, type in or click Browse to define the coordinate system file, e.g. D:\Warehouses\dxf\TransverseMercator.csf (optional).
The Display CAD Files dialog box may look like this.
Note: If a coordinate system file is not defined, then GeoMedia will assume the DXF coordinates are in the current workspace's coordinate system.
- Click the Advanced tab.
The advanced options are displayed.
- In the Generated CAD server schema file field, type in or click Browse to define the CAD server schema file to be generated, e.g. D:\Warehouses\landuse_dxf.csd. Note: this is optional and you can use the default name if you like.
- In the Connection name field, type in a name, e.g. DXF connection. Note: This is optional and you can use the default name if you like.
- Toggle on Select layers to display. Note: selecting this option will cause the command to scan the DXF file for the layer names. This is preferable to having to figure out by yourself.
The list of DXF layer names is displayed in the Layers list box.
- Toggle on Create a separate legend entry for each selected layer. Note: this is optional but preferable to displaying all DXF graphics as a single GeoMedia feature.
- Click OK.
The selected DXF layer is displayed in the Map Window as a compound geometry.
If you don't like the compound geometries the command is setting for all the DXF layers or you want to refine the settings made by the Display CAD Files command, then you can modify the CAD Server Schema file generated by the command. Before you can do that, you have to close all open connections to the CAD Server Schema file first.
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the CAD Server Schema File folder e.g. D:\Warehouses\ and double click on the CAD Server Schema File, e.g. landuse_dxf.csd.
The Define CAD Server Schema File dialog box appears.
- Select Feature Class > Define Feature Class.
The Define Feature Class dialog box appears.
- In the Feature classes list box, select a feature class, e.g. LAND_USE. Click Edit.
The Edit - Feature XXX dialog box appears.
- In the Geometry type list box, toggle off the CompoundGeometry and TextGeometry. Toggle on the desired type, e.g. AreaGeometry.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
- Select File > Save.
- Select File > Exit to close the Define CAD Server Schema File application.
- Open up GeoMedia and display the DXF layers.
The DXF feature now has the geometry type of AreaGeometry.