- Start up gvSIG OADE 2010. Add in a polygon shape file layer, e.g. polygons.shp.
The layer is displayed in the View.
- In the legend, click the polygon layer.
The layer is selected.
- Select Layer | Start Editing.
The legend name is highlighted in red and the command pane appears.
- Select Geometry | Select. Click on the polygon.
The polygon fill color changes to red and the vertex handles appear.
- Select Geometry | Modify | Split.
The prompt Insert first point appears in the Command pane.
- Click a few points to digitize the splitting line.
- To complete, type in e in the Command pane prompt. Press RETURN.
The polygon is split.
- Select Layer | Stop editing.
You are prompted to save the edits.
- Click Yes.
The changes are saved.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Split an area polygon with gvSIG
gvSIG's data editing functions are among the best I have ever encountered in a free and open source GIS software application. One of the useful command is the Split command. Here is how it works.