- Start Global Mapper. Load or create at least two overlapping polygons.
- Press ALT+D.
The Digitizer Tool is activated.
- Move the cursor to the polygon to be used as the clipper. Click on the polygon.
The polygon is selected.
- Press the mouse right button anywhere in the map view.
A pop up menu appears.
- Choose Cut Selected Area(s) from Another Area (Add Islands).
The prompt appears: Select the Area to use as the Parent for this island, Esc to cancel.
- Move the mouse to the polygon to be clipped. Click on the polygon.
The prompt below appears.
- Click Yes.
The polygon is clipped.
Monday, November 7, 2011
Clip a polygon with another polygon using Global Mapper
In GIS data editing work, it may be useful to clip a polygon with another polygon in a simple boolean operation. Global Mapper can perform the clipping task using the Cut Selected Area(s) from another Area (Add Islands) function. The example below illustrates a simple polygon clipping procedure: