I tried out the new point cloud transformers by performing one of the standard LiDAR processing production tasks - thinning the data by resampling at every nth point. It is simple to build a transformation workspace to do the job. Here are the steps:
- Start up FME Workbench 2011.
- Click Blank Workspace.
- From the Windows Explorer, drag a LAS file and drop it onto the FME Workbench Main pane.
The Add Reader dialog box appears.
- Click OK.
- Activate the Transformer Gallery tab on the left.
- Find and select the PointCloudThinner transformer in the Transformer Gallery tree list. Drag and drop it onto the Main pane.
- Select Writers | Add Writer.
The Add Writer dialog box appears.
- Choose the ASPRS Lidar Data Exchange Format (LAS). Browse and select the output dataset.
- Click OK. Click Yes and OK to the next few prompts.
- Connect the datasets and transformer as shown.
- Open up the PointCloudThinner Parameters.
The PointCloudThinner Parameters dialog box appears.
- Choose the Keep Every Nth Point Thinning Type. In the Amount field, type in a value e.g. 10.
- Click OK.
- Run the translation.
The LAS file is thinned