An example of importing a CSV file into a binary .dbf file is illustrated below.
- Start up gvSIG OADE. Open up a View.
- Select Table | Normalize text file.
The Load text file dialog box appears.
- Browse and select a CSV file e.g. C:\temp\test.csv. Click Open.
The Normalization dialog box appears. By default, a new field entry named as NewField is listed.
- Click the NewField field. In the Field name field, change the value to a suitable name e.g field1.
- In the Separators group box, toggle on Other and type in a comma: ,.
- Click the + button.
A new field NewField2 is added to the list box.
- In the Field name field, change the value to a suitable name e.g. field2.
- Repeat the previous steps 4 to 7 for each field.
- Click Test run.
A preview of the normalization is displayed in the Sample output field.
- If the preview shows the values have not been separated properly, trace back the previous steps and correct any errors.
- If the preview shows the values can be separated properly, click Run.
The New table dialog box appears.
- Browse and type in a new file name e.g. C:\Temp\ImportTest.dbf. Click Save.
The text file is imported and displayed.