- Start Global Mapper 12. Load or create a polygon layer with intersecting polygons.
- Press ALT+D.
The Digitizer toolbar appears.
- In the Map view, select two or more intersecting polygons.
The polygons are selected.
- Press the Mouse right button anywhere in the Map view.
A pop up menu appears.
- Choose Find Intersection of Selected Area Features.
A message appears.
- Click No.
The Modify Feature Info dialog box appears.
- Choose a Feature Type, e.g. Wetland. In the Feature Layer drop down list, choose Create New Layer for Feature. Click OK.
The Enter Layer Name dialog box appears.
- Type in a name, e.g. intersect. Click OK.
The intersections are created.
Monday, August 1, 2011
Find intersections between polygons using Global Mapper
Even though Global Mapper is not a spatial analysis software, it has some limited spatial functions such as the Find Intersection of Selected Areas command. It is available in a pop up menu somewhere within the software. Here is an example of using the command.