- Start QGIS 2.0. Load and display a vector layer e.g. mask.shp.
- Select View | Toolbars. Toggle on Advanced Digitizing.
The Advanced Digitizing tool bar is displayed.
- In the Layers pane, select the polygon layer. Then select Layer | Toggle Editing.
The polygon layer is enabled for editing.
- Click the Split Feature icon.
- Digitize a line over a polygon feature.
- Right click to complete the line.
The polygon feature is divided into parts according to the digitized line.
- To make the change permanent, toggle off Editing mode.
Monday, November 11, 2013
Split a polygon feature with a digitized line in QGIS
It is possible to split a polygon feature by interactively drawing a line over it in QGIS 2.0 with the Split Feature command. The command doesn't seem to be accessible from the menus and only available as a tool bar item in the Advanced Digitizing tool bar palette. The following shows how to access it to split a polygon.