- Open up gvSIG OADE and display a polygon layer e.g. States.shp.
- In the legend, press a mouse right click on the States.shp layer.
A pop up menu appears.
- Choose Properties.
The Layer properties dialog box appears.
- Select the Symbology tab.
- Expand the Categories tree node. Choose Unique values.
- In the Classification field, choose the field to style with e.g. STATE_NAME.
- In the Color ramp field, choose a suitable color table.
- Click Add All.
The colors are assigned to each unique field value.
- Click OK.
The thematic map is generated.
Monday, September 26, 2011
Create a thematic map with gvSIG
Creating thematic maps based on one or more attribute fields of a geographical feature is a fairly typical GIS task. The free and open source software gvSIG has the tools to quickly generate a thematic map of a geographical layer. The example below shows the procedure to color the thematic map according to unique attribute field values.